Tuesday, January 25, 2011

On Becoming Yourself


Becoming Natasha © 2010 by S'zanne Reynolds
18.5 x 26.5" pastel

My painting, Becoming Natasha was juried into the "For the Love of Art" exhibit by Dr. Christopher Adejumo.

Opening Night is February 12, from 6-9 p.m. at Austin Art Space.
(7739 Northcross Dr., Austin 78757)

This pastel is part of the "All Kinds of Lovely" series of portraits I started last summer. Becoming Natasha is such a fitting title for this young lady as she is both becoming in beauty and becoming in spirit as she discovers herself, her talents and her way in the world. Natasha reminds me that we are all still young at heart, always in search of being fully expressed.


Sweet 'n Sour, © 2004 by my former self
19x13.5" pastel

Above is one of my early pastels, Sweet 'n Sour, which was accepted into one AVAA's annual shows. I don't recall if he was the juror or just visiting the show, but Dr. Adejumo offered his compliments on the quick, deliberate, unlabored effect of my strokes that were essentially left alone once applied. His encouragement left quite an impression on me, so much so, that I have tried to create that fresh, directly applied look in most of my paintings. I think I succeeded in Becoming Natasha, which is perhaps why he juried it into this current show!

About the Juror: Dr. Adejumo received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Fine Arts (Graphic Design) from the University of Benin, Nigeria in 1983. He studied at the University of Massachusetts, in Dartmouth, where he received an MFA degree in Visual Designs (Printmaking) in 1993. In 1997, he received a PhD in Art Education from Ohio State University. His art has been shown in solo exhibitions in Africa, Europe, and the United States.

He has received numerous research and academic excellence awards including GTECH 1992 (Dartmouth, Massachusetts) award for academic excellence; and the University of Benin 1983 "Student of the Year" award for academic excellence. His articles have been published in newspapers and visual arts and research journals. He has been the program director for the AVAA Sponsored Project The Greater Tomorrow Youth Art Program for 12 years. The program provides free art workshops taught by Dr. Adejumo to at risk kids in Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment