"The 2008 Malibu rewrites Chevrolet's midsize car strategy, offering a stylish, uncompromising package that stacks up against the most popular competitors," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "We know the competition is very good, and this new Malibu has the goods - both tangible and intangible - to assert a leadership position in the segment and re-affirm Chevrolet's commitment to expressive cars."
Indeed, the 2008 Malibu brings a fresh perspective and new proportions to the midsize segment. It is more than three inches (76 mm) longer than the current model, with a six-inch-longer (162 mm) wheelbase that delivers a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance and helps provide a smoother, more direct driving experience. In fact, Malibu's wheelbase is three inches (76 mm) longer than Toyota Camry.
"Malibu is the car our customers have been looking for," said Peper. "There is more style and content on the new Malibu than any other competitor in the segment."
The new Malibu is offered in three well-equipped trim levels: LS, LT and LTZ - all with standard head-curtain side air bags and front-seat thorax air bags, OnStar Gen 7 with remote diagnostics, and XM Satellite Radio. StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on LT and LTZ models.
Highlights of the redesigned 2008 Malibu include:
- All-new refined and contemporary exterior with new dual-port grille design that represents the new face of Chevrolet
- Twin round taillamps
- Upscale interior design with available two-tone trim; gauges with Chevrolet blue backlighting
- Standard head-curtain side air bags and front seat-mounted thorax protection air bags
- Available 110-volt household-type AC power outlet
- Refined and technically advanced family of economic DOHC powertrains, including a 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder and a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing
- Fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission available with both four-cylinder and V-6 engines - a segment exclusive for four-cylinder engines
- Five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty
- Four-wheel independent suspension and longer wheelbase that deliver a more controlled, satisfying and confident driving experience
- Family of large wheels, including 18-inch ultra-bright polished wheels on LTZ
- Available large, panoramic sunroof
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
With its strong stance and bold proportions, the 2008 Malibu has a profile that reinforces its substantial feel. Clean, pure lines and wheels pushed to the corners, as well as a visually lower yet longer greenhouse and a shorter deck suggest motion, agility and attitude. The body sides are clean and elegant, interrupted only by distinctive, wheel-oriented forms that communicate an aggressive, stable stance and a rear profile that connects to Chevrolet's rich performance heritage.
The Malibu's dual-port grille is characteristic of the new face of Chevrolet cars and the twin round taillamps are Chevrolet cues, too, with LTZ models distinguished by front fog lamps and LED-lit taillamps. The design elements are complemented with precise details, including minimized panel gaps, a tight wheel-to-body relationship and select use of chrome trim. V-6 models also receive dual chrome exhaust outlets.
The interior's attention to detail matches the Malibu's exterior, with an ergonomic design using premium materials that convey quality and value, including a cast skin material on the instrument panel. The integrated, flowing instrument panel features a Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit design, with prominent gauges backlit in blue, and metallic or wood grain accents.
The new Malibu has greater storage, too, with thoughtful features that maximize utility, including a deep center console with a sliding cover that opens to accommodate larger items. Also standard is an auxiliary in-dash storage compartment on the instrument panel for sunglasses, CDs and other items. An available rear power center provides a household-style 110-volt AC power outlet.
Safe and secure
The 2008 Malibu has a comprehensive roster of standard and available features that helps protect occupants before, during and after a crash. They include:
- Dual-stage frontal air bags with GM Passenger Sensing System
- Head curtain side-impact air bags (front and rear outboard seats)
- Front seat-mounted thorax protection air bags
- Front safety belt pretensioners
- LATCH child safety seat anchors
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS
- Traction control
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with panic brake assistance (LT and LTZ models)
- Tire pressure monitoring system